Thursday, November 17, 2005

more of weird-food.com, venus flytrap dies after eating spam

Here are a few more snippets from www.weird-food.com:

- Someone reportedly fed Spam to their Venus fly trap and it died.

- If you haven't already, you can fry up your placenta for a tasty dish.

- Have you ever tried silkworm pupas? Steve did. (Check out that link after you read this:) "Steaming, grey silk worm grubs can be found in vendor's carts on the back streets of Seoul, Korea. There's this one oriental grocery store near me that I've been going to for several years. At first, as expected, when I asked what strange things were I get the standard "You won't like that." I soon got past that stage with the owner. It's probably been over a year since I've got the you-won't-like-it explanation. Today I got it again! The food in question? "Chrysalis." It's a can of bugs. Of course I bought it, but I don't know what to do with it. I opened the can, and it certainly smelled strange. I was assured that it was delicious and very healthy. Do I just heat it and enjoy? Would fresh chrysalis bugs be better than canned? Thanks for the help. Guess: A caterpillar spins a cocoon around itself when it is ready to mutate into a butterfly or moth. At this stage it is known as a "chrysalis" or "pupa". Perhaps they're silkworm pupae, since the orient produces a lot of silk."